[Michlib-l] Hours for tech support -- do we need to worry about liability?

Val Meyerson val at charlevoixlibrary.org
Wed Aug 21 09:22:04 EDT 2013

We have a technology intern whose main function is to answer tech questions about software and use of their hardware. We too offer classes, but most people want to know when they come in, they don't want to wait for a class. We refer people to the hours that the intern works and they are usually happy that there is someone to help them.

If the intern has to physically touch someone's device, we have a waiver that the customer signs. We did this because many times setting would need to be changed or altered and we did not want to be liable for the device. WE have not had any complaints or issues with the patron's signing this form. I've attached a copy of the waiver we use.

Valerie Meyerson, Library Director
Charlevoix Public Library, MI
231.237.7360