[Michlib-l] Child-sized Railings

Cory Grimminck cgrimminck at portlandmilibrary.com
Thu Jul 18 12:58:59 EDT 2013

We are a two-story library, with the children's area on the lower level.
There are two flights of stairs to get to the lower level, and we currently
have a regular, adult-sized, built-to-code, ADA-compliant railing.
Recently, a patron attended our board meeting to suggest that we install a
lower railing for small children to hold while using the stairs.  Has
anyone installed a lower railing for children?  If so, has it caused
behavioral issues with children climbing on it?  If not, did you ever
consider installing one?

Thanks,
Cory Grimminck
Portland District Library