[Michlib-l] Paperback Reinforcement

Ann Perrigo aperrigo at alleganlibrary.org
Tue Jul 30 13:35:51 EDT 2013

Kevin--
   Thank you so much for your thorough discussion of this topic.  To your
first paragraph, about care and attention, I say "Hear, hear!"
    At our library we employ a couple of these techniques.  For the mass
markets that we put out on the paperback racks, we apply the strip of tape
down the outside of the spine.  The pbs that we hope to keep in our
collection for a while, and shelve with Fiction, we cover completely with
clear Contact paper.  Last year we had a demo of the CoLibri system, and we
just didn't like the finished product very much, so said no.
    Thanks again for your concise information!
    Ann @ Allegan

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Driedger, Kevin (MDE) <
DriedgerK at michigan.gov> wrote:

> I’ve seen a great variety of approaches to reinforcing paperbacks – some
> more successful than others, and some more labor intensive than others.
> With all of these techniques, however, the results are always better when
> the reinforcing material was applied with care and attention to detail.***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> The weakest part of a paperback is that its cover, being nothing more than
> paper, is easily damaged, so anything to strengthen the cover will increase
> the books durability. ****
>
> ** **
>
> The simplest thing is to run a strip of clear “book tape” along the spine.
> This helps protect the book at some of its more vulnerable parts, the
> hinges.****
>
> ** **
>
> You could also run tape along the fore edges, or the next step up which
> would be covering the entire book with a thin, flexible, clear
> self-adhesive Mylar or “contact paper”. This provides several types of
> protection. It keeps the cover from tearing, as well as providing some
> protections from spills, rain, etc. When covering the entire book with a
> product like this you have the option of trimming the protective material
> flush with the edge of the book, or folding it over onto the inside covers.
> I think folding it over is a better option – if it can be done with care
> and precision. ****
>
> ** **
>
> There are also clear paperback protectors that thick and stiff over the
> covers, but flexible along the spine. While I am not entirely opposed to
> this product, this is the one technique where I’ve seen an increased
> likelihood of the product causing damage. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Another reinforcing technique I learned while working as a student in a
> small academic library is cutting a thin press board the height and
> slightly narrower than the width of the covers and adhering them to the
> inside covers with double-stick tape. This technique, together with taping
> the spine creates a very durable book – but it is also the one that
> requires the most skills and supplies.****
>
> ** **
>
> Finally, I’ll mention the CoLibri cover system which encapsulates the
> cover in a Polyester pocket. Nothing is adhered to the cover of the book –
> so it is the most “archival” of the approaches, but also the most costly.
> http://www.colibriusa.com/ ****
>
> ** **
>
> I realize this is probably way more information than you were expecting,
> but I hope some of it was a little bit helpful.****
>
> ** **
>
> kevin****
>
> ^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v****
>
> Kevin Driedger****
>
> Librarian for Conservation and Digitization****
>
> Library of Michigan****
>
> P.O. Box 30007****
>
> 702 W. Kalamazoo****

> [...]

Ann Perrigo, Director
Allegan District Library
331 Hubbard Street
Allegan, MI 49010                               269 673-4625

aperrigo at alleganlibrary.org

<aperrigo at alleganlibrary.org>

Good times or bad--your library is here for you!