[Michlib-l] Library inflation calculator for Advocacy

Reish, Karren (MDE) ReishK at michigan.gov
Fri Nov 1 08:49:38 EDT 2013

Please take a look at the calendar at the link below. It will allow you to input funds received in one year and funds received in another and show how much lower your funding is with inflation taken into account. You can accurately show just how much more of a cut a straight percentage decline actually is. Very nice work from the State Library of North Carolina.

Karren Reish
Library Grants Coordinator
Library of Michigan
517-241-0021
reishk at michigan.gov<mailto:reishk at michigan.gov>

Subject: Library inflation calculator

Hey team,

Yesterday built this online calculator for our libraries in case they need help adjusting for inflation and per capita inflation-adjusted dollars. http://plstats.nclive.org/stateaid_inflation_calculator.php. It lets them choose a historic year and input a historic $ value (could be state aid, local revenue, any money related to running a library) and then input current day $  to compare. Optionally they can input legal service population area for the historic and current time  periods. Then it gives them the percentage change their $ has seen during the given time period in inflation-adjusted dollars, as well as per capita inflation-adjusted dollars.

Let me know if you see any errors or think it's too confusing and needs to be further clarified in some way. Hopefully I did all the math right!

This could actually be used by any library in the country because the inflation index for libraries is not specific to NC, it's a national index.

Happy Halloween!
Joyce

Joyce Chapman
Communications and Data Analysis Consultant
State Library of North Carolina
4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4640
Phone: 919-807-7421 | Fax: 919-733-8748
joyce.chapman at ncdcr.gov<https://mail.nc.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=6e03774f01464579a52f298db758e3c0&URL=mailto%3ajeffrey.hamilton%40ncdcr.gov>

[signature_images]
E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law "NCGS.Ch.132" and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official.