[Michlib-l] Open Meetings Act question

James Lenze jamesl at Gardencitymi.org
Mon Nov 4 12:33:23 EST 2013

Dave,
See pages 21-23 of this pdf:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/openmtgsfreedom.pdf
I do not think it touches upon the use of email between meetings, but it is a concise treatment of the law.  Anne Seurynck of Foster Swift has spoken before on Board members' use of email to discuss library matters.  You may want to contact her.
James
James B Lenze, Director            jlenze at garden-city.lib.mi.us
Garden City Public Library
31735 Maplewood St
Garden City, MI 48135

From: michlib-l-bounces at mail.mcls.org [mailto:michlib-l-bounces at mail.mcls.org] On Behalf Of Dave Ewick
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 12:18 PM
To: Michlib-L
Subject: [Michlib-l] Open Meetings Act question

Does anyone have a 1-2 page summary of the Open Meetings Act?  I'd like to have a single sheet to hand out to my board members for their Trustee binders; something that is quick and easy to use as a reminder.

Board members sometimes use email between board meetings to keep up to date on issues - this is touched upon in the OMA, but I am still uncomfortable with how far behind the times the OMA lags.  I'd like to be able to put that reminder right at our fingertips.

Thanks,
Dave

David L. Ewick
City Librarian