[Michlib-l] pajamas in the library

Kimberly Schaaf kschaaf at springfield.lib.mi.us
Wed Nov 20 13:57:04 EST 2013

While I agree that being subjected to a grown woman's fuzzy Tinkerbell pj pants is extremely annoying, unless your local authorities have some kind of official ban on this kind of thing that would back up a policy, I doubt you can do much about it.  If the pjs hit on one of the limitations to the First Amendment (obscenity, for example) or violates a law (nudity, for example) then that would back you up.

Once you make a policy determining what people can or can't wear, it's a slippery slope of subjective interpretation that could crack open a whole slew of complaints from staff and patrons.  Who determines exactly what constitutes pajamas?  What about sweatpants?  What about workout clothes?  Banning leggings worn as pants would be perfectly fine with me, for example, but the difference between yoga pants and leggings can be very subtle.  Also, who can wear the pjs and who can't?  We give babies a free pass, but what about children?  What about a very mature 10 year old girl?  What about elderly women wearing a flimsy moo-moo in the summer?  Or men wearing extremely tight bike shorts?  Underwear and bras hang out everyday, and underwear is worse than pajamas, right?  While it is unfortunate that we must endure the sight of all this and more; I don't know if there's a clear cut policy solution to the social annoyance of fashion faux pas.

Kimberly Schaaf
Reference and Adult Services Librarian
Springfield Twp. Library
12000 Davisburg Rd.