[Michlib-l] LEGO Nights

Joe Gross jgross at ransomlibrary.org
Wed Nov 27 12:02:03 EST 2013

At Ransom District Library, we do a similar program to that at Allegan,
also called Lego Club. We stopped using a theme when most of the kids
wanted to do their own thing (it felt like I got out of my own way).
Each gets a large baseplate and a bucket to fill with Legos, which we
have arranged by color (only rules: they must put their unused Legos
back in the coded bins, and they must limit their "lego people" to three
or four, as these are the true currency of the Lego collection). When
they are finished with their creations, participants have the option of
adding a title and signature on an index card, and we put them on
display in the children's area for a week or two. Almost all artists
want to be recognized for their work. :-)
     Although we have bought the vast majority of our substantial Lego
collection, the return on investment has been excellent. Our Friends
group got us going with an initial $400 donation, and we chipped away
after that.
Cheers,

/Joseph Gross//
//Assistant Director/Youth Librarian//