[Michlib-l] background checks

Mike Evans mevans at hastingspubliclibrary.com
Tue Oct 8 14:43:09 EDT 2013

Googling alone can be a mixed bag so I agree with backing that up with a more extensive search.

Being that these both crossed my desk on the same day I will share this article from Atlantic Cities with regard to websites that skim mugshots (taken before a person is proven guilty) as public information and then extorting the victim into paying to have them removed from the site.  Major credit card companies and PayPal have stopped service to a number of these sites yet mugshots remain public information and these websites remain out there.

Atlantic Cities, October 8, 2013,  "Mugshots Shouldn't Be in the Public Record. Here's Why."  http://www.theatlanticcities.com/technology/2013/10/case-making-mugshots-private/7159/

Mike Evans
Community Outreach Coordinator
Hastings Public Library