[Michlib-l] Question for City Library Directors

James Lenze jamesl at Gardencitymi.org
Thu Oct 24 15:01:08 EDT 2013

Stephanie,
There are so many ways public libraries can be organized in Michigan that it is not enough ask if a library is a "city library."  It is also important to know how it is organized.
The Garden City Public Library is a City library organized under Public Act 164 of 1877, section 210(a).  As such, we have a six member elected governing board.

1)      I report directly to the Library Board on all matters

2)      My Board is a governing board.  They make all decisions.

3)      My Board approves my budget and expenditures.  They actually approve a tentative budget which is then included with the City budget for the purpose of a public hearing.  After the public hearing on the entire City budget, the Board formally adopts the budget.

4)      My Board approves all policies and changes to policies.

I might also add that a Bill has made its way through the Michigan Senate and has been referred to the House, which would revise the current language of PA 164 of 1877.  The bill was numbered SB 546.  It is worth looking at.
Hope this helps.
    James Lenze, Director
   Garden City Public Library

From: michlib-l-bounces at mail.mcls.org [mailto:michlib-l-bounces at mail.mcls.org] On Behalf Of Stephanie
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:23 PM
To: michlib-l at mail.mcls.org
Subject: [Michlib-l] Question for City Library Directors

Hello everyone --

If you are a City Library Director I'm hoping you'll be willing to share some information with me.

1) Do you report directly to your Library Board or your City?

2)  Is your Library Board serve in an advisory capacity only or does it serve in a decision making capacity?

3)  What role does your Library Board have in making financial decisions (budgeting, expenditures, etc.).

4)  When setting or changing policies, does your Board do that or do they just make recommendations to the City Commission.

Any information you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

--
Stephanie Masin, Director
Maud Preston Palenske Memorial Library