[Michlib-l] ALA Midwinter 2014: Become a consultant, design an online course, transform your leadership

Liz Markel lmarkel at ala.org
Wed Sep 4 16:38:17 EDT 2013

While summer has just ended and nobody *really* wants to be thinking
about ==WINTER== just yet, I have some news that's going to get you
psyched up for winter-specifically, the 2014 ALA Midwinter Meeting in
Philadelphia.

ASCLA-the Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agenci
<http://www.ala.org/ascla> es-is offering four outstanding learning
events in Philadelphia. We've got day-long workshops focused on online
course design, successful leadership and a crash course in becoming a
library consultant! We've also scheduled a networking lunch-and-learn
for library consultants.

If you're registering using ALA Bundle Registration, which opens on
Monday, you'll be able to register for these events then! Regular
registration for both these events and the 2014 ALA Midwinter Meeting
will open on Oct. 1. More information at www.alamidwinter.org/bundle and
www.alamidwinter.org.

You do not need to register for Midwinter in order to purchase a ticket
for any of these events! Make the trip from DC or NYC and join us for a
day for a valuable learning experience.

Below is a quick overview of our offerings; more information, including
pricing, is on the ASCLA website:
http://www.ala.org/ascla/asclaevents/midwinter/midwintermeeting

+++Please share this message with colleagues and other distribution
lists that may find it of interest!+++

Designing Online Courses for Significant Learning Experiences
8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Friday, Jan. 24
Are you a teaching librarian currently offering an online course but
looking for ways to enhance the course structure and content? Are you a
seasoned professional with special skills and expertise that you see a
market for via an e-course? Gain the skills and confidence to assist
others in the development of online courses, or to develop their own
online training modules or courses. The techniques applied in this
session can also be applied to face-to-face course development. All
participants will receive certificates of participation.

Knowing You, Knowing Them: The Secret to Successful Leadership
9 a.m. - 4 p.m, Friday, Jan. 24
One of the biggest challenges of leading others is understanding what
makes them tick. This full-day workshop will help you understand both
yourself in light of your leadership responsibilities and those who work
for you. Instead of offering a checklist or template of how-tos, we'll
focus on the human element of leadership. You will leave this session
with insights into personalities, emotional intelligence, dealing with
change and creating a motivating environment - secrets that can help you
be a more successful leader!

Assembling a Consulting Toolkit: What You Need to Know to be a
Successful Library Consultant
1 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 23 and 8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., Friday,
Jan. 24
Many of you have asked for it....IT'S BACK!!!! Seasoned consultants
Nancy Bolt and Liz Bishoff will present an overview of the consultant's
role and guide you through an active and engaging self-assessment to
uncover your unique consulting potential and strengths. Takeaways
include marketing tips, pricing your services, responding to RFPs,
finding clients, business management strategies and so much more. Note
that this event is held over two days-Thursday afternoon and Friday
morning-with an opportunity for networking on Thursday evening. **This
institute will not be offered in Las Vegas, so don't miss out on this
opportunity!**

Consultants Networking Luncheon hosted by ASCLA Library Consultants
Interest Group
10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 25
Lunch and learn with colleagues! This event provides an opportunity for
consultants and independent librarians to make connections with other
professionals. We'll also have an hour of education focused on valuable
skills for consultants; last year's event covered icebreaker activities,
refining your elevator speech and Twitter. The event is hosted by
ASCLA's Library Consultants Interest Group
(http://connect.ala.org/node/151445 <http://connect.ala.org/node/151445>
). Whether you're new to consulting or have decades of experience,
please join this fun group for some peer-to-peer networking and
education.

ABOUT US: ASCLA, a small, mighty and growing division of the American
Library Association (ALA), is a diverse organization of librarians and
support staff who work in academic and public libraries, state agencies,
specialized libraries and cooperatives, as well as those who are
self-employed. Our division's work centers on member-driven interest
groups <http://www.ala.org/news/ascla/asclaourassoc/asclainterest/list>
that represent the diversity and important work of our engaged and
active members. Learn more about ASCLA and how to join this innovative
division.
<http://www.ala.org/news/ascla/asclaourassoc/joinascla/joinascla>

Liz F. Markel, M.A.

Marketing & Programs Manager

Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA)

Reference and User Services Association (RUSA)

The American Library Association // 50 E. Huron Street // Chicago, IL
60611

800-545-2433 // p. 312-280-4398 // f. 312-280-5273 // e. lmarkel at ala.org

Find our divisions online at    www.ala.org/rusa    &
www.ala.org/ascla