[Michlib-l] 2nd Annual Write Michigan Short Story Contest

Heidi Nagel hnagel at kdl.org
Mon Sep 9 17:36:43 EDT 2013

On behalf of the Write Michigan committee, I am delighted to announce
the Second Annual Write Michigan Short Story Contest
<http://www.writemichigan.org/> .

Write Michigan is a statewide writing contest featuring $250 cash prizes
for Judges' and Readers' Choice winners in each age category. Judges'
Choice runners-up receive $100. The top five stories in each category
will be published in the 2014 Write Michigan Anthology.

The Write Michigan Short Story Contest allows entries from Michigan
residents in three age categories:

*         Youth, free submission for ages 11 and under,

*         Teen Category, free submission for ages 12-17,  and

*         Adult Category, $10 submission fee for ages 18 and up.

Short story submissions will be accepted online at WriteMichigan.org
until November 30, 2013. Stories will be reviewed by librarians and
booksellers to determine the semifinalists. The top ten semifinalists'
stories will be available for judges and public review via the website
in January 2014. Winners will be announced on February 3. The Awards
Ceremony, featuring author Kristina Riggle (a Kentwood native) will be
Saturday, March 22, 2014 at the Kentwood (Richard L. Root) branch of KDL
where copies of the 2014 anthology will be sold.

For details on how to submit a story, please review the Contest
Guidelines <http://www.writemichigan.org/ContestGuidelines.pdf> . For
complete information on the contest, visit www.writemichigan.org. For
inspiration, we suggest reading the 2013 Write Michigan Anthology
<http://www.schulerbooks.com/product/2013writemichigan> , available from
Chapbook Press for $14.95.

The second annual Write Michigan Short Story contest is offered by Kent
District Library <http://www.kdl.org/> , Schuler Books & Music
<http://schulerbooks.com/> , Pooh's Corner
<http://www.poohscornerstore.com/>  and Capital Area District Libraries
<http://cadl.org/> .

Please consider sharing this information with your staff, friends,
family, neighbors, kids' English teachers and library customers,
especially any writers groups who may be meeting in your facility!
Posters and fliers for Write Michigan can be printed from the media kit
here <http://www.writemichigan.org/media.html> . Last year we received
551 short story submissions from 155 unique Michigan zip codes. Many of
the entrants indicated they heard about the contest from their local
public library so we really appreciate your effort to help spread the
word to aspiring authors.

Thank You!

-         Heidi

Heidi Nagel