[Michlib-l] Some ACA resources and policy considerations

White, Shannon (MDE) WhiteS29 at michigan.gov
Thu Sep 12 11:10:32 EDT 2013

I thought this post on the blog Library Lost and Found entitled "Policies that Help Not Hinder" is a good reminder for us as the ACA Open Enrollment date of October 1 nears.  http://librarylostfound.com/2013/09/12/policies-that-help-not-hinder/

Holly offers some ideas for thought and consideration as frontline staff begin encountering a new set of questions arising from the needs of patrons seeking information and tools related to the Affordable Care Act.

We have a short section in our ACA handout devoted to library policies. You can find some example policies from other libraries that spell out details to reference inquiries around medical and legal questions.  You can find the document here http://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/lm_Lib_Initiatives_2013_ACA_433005_7.pdf?20130912104444  We try to update this each week with new information so if you have examples of policies or resources you area finding helpful as you gather information on ACA for library staff and patrons let us know.

Shannon

Shannon D. White
Continuing Education Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 West Kalamazoo, P.O. Box 30007, Lansing, MI 48909-7507
Ph: 517-373-9489; Fax: 517-373-5700
Toll free:  877-479-0021
whites29 at michigan.gov<mailto:whites29 at michigan.gov>
http://michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan