[Michlib-l] Damaged items question

Kelly Bennett, Ferndale Public Library kelly at ferndalepubliclibrary.org
Mon Sep 23 12:03:19 EDT 2013

Great question, Tracie. We don't have a policy per se, but we tend to let
them sit for about three months. Our procedure is, after an item has been
identified as damaged, we notify the patron that they will be billed for the
cost of the item plus a processing fee. The item then stays on our damaged
shelf until the patron has paid or for about three months, at which time we
evaluate whether we should get rid of the item or not.

I'd be curious to hear others' responses.

Kelly Bennett

Head of Circulation, Ferndale Public Library