[Michlib-l] Reminder - Northwoods Library Symposium Aug. 13 (Marquette MI)

Warren, Leslie A lwarren at nmu.edu
Thu Aug 7 09:35:07 EDT 2014

There's still time to register for next week's Northwoods Library Symposium at Northern Michigan University (August 13, 2014). We have a fantastic day planned. I hope you can join us.

WHEN: August 13, 2014, 9:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m.

WHERE: Northern Michigan University (Marquette, MI)
Marquette Room, University Center

WHO: The primary focus will be on academic libraries, but we encourage librarians and instructors from any setting to share, learn and engage in the discussion.

REGISTRATION: $25 (lunch included)
Registration and additional information at https://www.regonline.com/Northwoods_Library_2014

KEYNOTE
Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
Professor & Coordinator for Information Literacy Services and Instruction
University Library, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

The Value of Information Literacy: Creating, Demonstrating, and Communicating Library Impact
Ultimately, the value of information literacy is created, demonstrated, and communicated by how well it reflects and supports the missions of our schools, communities colleges, colleges and universities. As developments in teaching and learning offer new opportunities for integrative information literacy in curricula and the student experience, libraries are poised to respond with a full-range of useful information tools and resources, robust services, and welcoming and enriching space/place environments. Drawing on the ACRL Value of Academic Libraries Initiative, this keynote session will highlight strategies for integrating information literacy in content-specific and general education curricula, engaging pedagogies, creative collaboration, space design and development.

SESSIONS

Tales from an AiA Project: Demonstrating the Value of Faculty Collaboration and Library Instruction on Student Learning and Confidence
Margaret Phillips (Education and Assessment Coordinator, Van Pelt and Opie Library, Michigan Technological University)
Michigan Technological University was one of 75 libraries who participated in year one (2013-14) of the ACRL Assessment -in-Action (AiA) program. For this project, librarians and social sciences faculty members at Tech collaborated to meaningfully integrate information literacy instruction into a first year general education course and analyze the impact on student learning and confidence. Information literacy instruction was provided through a series of short online video tutorials. Impact was measured using a direct assessment method (rubric) as part of a university-wide assessment process and through the use of a survey to gather information on student confidence in accessing and evaluating library resources. The results show trends that indicate the collaboration and videos are effective in getting students started with library research. This program will provide an overview of the Michigan Tech project and also the ACRL AiA program in general.

Instruction Program Evaluation: A Refined Process for Gathering Data and Communicating Value
Mary O'Kelley (Head of Instruction, Grand Valley State University)
<DRAFT - DESCRIPTION MAY CHANGE>
Do you know how many of your institution's students participated in library instruction? By grade? By major? What's their GPA? And how many of them re-enrolled? In a time of intense focus on student retention and success, having an efficient process for gathering and analyzing data about student library engagement is critical. Hear from the GVSU Head of Instructional Services about the instruction data gathering process they have in place. Session will include time for idea sharing.

Improving Information Literacy Instruction Using Authentic Assessment of Student Work Products
Sarah Lucchesi (Instruction and Learning Team Leader , Van Pelt and Opie Library, Michigan Technological University)
Librarians at the Van Pelt and Opie Library of Michigan Technological University have developed a process of improving course-integrated information literacy instruction sessions by assessing student work products using a modified version of the university-level information literacy rubric. We piloted this process last academic year when we noticed that the quality of students' citations in a junior-level Engineering Design Process course was not improving, despite changes we had made to the library instruction session based on what we perceived students' needs to be. By using the rubric to assess student work products, we identified their actual areas of need and made significant changes to the library instruction session. The quality of sources selected by students the following semester showed strong improvement. In this session, we will share our assessment process and give participants the opportunity to gain hands-on practice with modifying rubrics and assessing student work.

Leslie A. Warren
Dean, Academic Information Services
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Ave.