[Michlib-l] Reminder!! MeL Early Literacy and Elementary School eResources Workshops Scheduled for late August: Please Share!

BiggThomas, Deb (MDE) BiggsThomasD at michigan.gov
Thu Aug 14 15:46:10 EDT 2014

August is flying!?  In preparation for the new school year, the Library of Michigan has put together a week long training on Michigan eLibrary resources so you can help your pre-schoolers through 4 graders when they're back in school this Fall! The week of August 25th the following libraries will host our vendor trainers in a day long session at which you will learning how the eResources found most easily in MeL's Kids Gateway (Homework Helpers), http://mel.org/kids can best be used with your youth, students and so you can inform their parents and teachers, and academic librarians, your pre-service teachers and faculty!

Each session will run 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with training beginning at 9:00 a.m.  Five vendors will be joining us this week to showcase the eResources that we make available statewide in MeL:  Gale, ProQuest, EBSCO, Scholastic, and WorldBook.  The trainers will take you through their resources and show you how they align to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Morning coffee and lunch provided.  Below you will find all the locations that we'll be visiting:

August 25 - Canton Public Library, Canton, MI

For more information and to register, contact:  Laurie Golden, goldenl at cantonpl.org<mailto:goldenl at cantonpl.org>

August 26 - Jackson College, Jackson, MI

For more information and to register, contact:  Stephanie DeLano Davis, davisstephand at jccmi.edu<mailto:davisstephand at jccmi.edu> or 517-796-8482

August 27 - Pere Marquette District Library, Clare, MI

For more information and to register, contact:  Irene Bancroft, ibancroft at mmlc.info<mailto:ibancroft at mmlc.info> or 810-232-7119

August 28 - Pickford Community Library, Pickford, MI (eastern Upper Peninsula; 45 minutes NE of St. Ignace)

For more information contact:  Ann Marie Smith,  amsmith at uproc.lib.mi.us<mailto:amsmith at uproc.lib.mi.us> or 906-647-1288
To register contact: Pam Malmsten, pamm at uproc.lib.mi.us<mailto:pamm at uproc.lib.mi.us> or 906-228-5627

August 29 - Kent District Library Service Center, Comstock Park, (Grand Rapids area) MI

For more information contact:  Sheryl VanderWagen at 616-559-5253 x210
To register, go to:  http://arwen.llcoop.org

Please let me know if you have any questions and please feel free to share this training opportunity with your children's librarians and pre-school through 4th grade teachers or homeschool parents you may know.  Looking forward to meeting  you at the end of August!

Kind regards,
Deb

Deb Biggs Thomas, MA AMLS
Michigan eLibrary & Outreach Coordinator
Library of Michigan/Michigan Dept. of Education
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI  48909
Phone:  517-373-4466
[LMSigforEmail]
Visit MeL at:  http://mel.org<http://mel.org/> and on Facebook at:  http://facebook.com/mel.org
The Library of Michigan is pleased to share a new video series highlighting Michigan libraries and how they are making a difference in their communities.  To experience Michigan libraries in a new light, visit http://brightside.cedam.info/ and watch the 21st Century Libraries episode.