[Michlib-l] Library Student

Knox,Sheryl Cormicle knoxs at cadl.org
Mon Feb 10 17:44:17 EST 2014

I just want to chime in and concur with Andrew and others who have commented and add a couple points. I completely agree with all the comments so far about even if your library employer uses a Content Management System, there is still a lot to know to be able to bend it to your will and to serve patrons best by integrating the 1,001 pieces of a modern library's website and 'fixing' the annoying user interface problems that our vendors can't ever seem to get around to or even just using technology to work smarter. Even if you never directly get your hands dirty in code in your library job, knowing enough about what is possible and the level of effort required to achieve something in a web-based interface will serve you and your future employer well in that you can talk intelligently with tech support, you can write actionable enhancement requests, you can effectively write project requirements and manage work with a freelance developer, you can advocate for patrons with technical people, you can understand more about how web sites really work, and therefore be a better user of web sites and a better teacher, you can raise your hand to actually help instead of just complain about a bad interface, you can advocate for sufficient resources (time and money) to get things right in a web project b/c you know how much work is involved.

It's like understanding cataloging. Does a public service librarian need to know every detail of cataloging procedure? No. Is she a better searcher and librarian if she knows her way around a MARC record? Yes.

Another way to think about it is, are you a consumer or a maker? Makers are smarter consumers.

I think smart library hiring managers will try to find out what applicants know in this regard. A credential is a clue. Experience and a portfolio is better. If I were considering an application for a youth librarian, and one had demonstrated curiosity and a willingness to engage in the complexity of technology of some sort and one had not, of course I'd prefer the curious one. But, then again, I don't get to hire youth librarians.

Sheryl Cormicle Knox
Technology Director
BA in English, MLIS
Self-taught in everything else