[Michlib-l] Rural Libraries Conference Preliminary Information

White, Shannon (MDE) WhiteS29 at michigan.gov
Tue Jan 14 19:05:21 EST 2014

Everyone is excited about the upcoming 2014 Rural Libraries Conference to be held at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, April 3-May 2, 2014.  We will have our registration and lodging reservations information available soon.  In case you are currently working on a budget for staff and or trustees to attend I wanted to provide some details.

The conference registration rate is $75 per person.  This covers all three days of the conference, lunch and dinner meals during the conference, and one round-trip ferry ticket to Mackinac Island.

Lodging will be available at the conference hotel, Grand Hotel, on Mackinac Island for the negotiated rate of $129 daily, per room.  The rate includes a continental breakfast daily. There is a maximum of four persons per room.

Our keynote speakers this year include:

*         Jessamyn West - Jessamyn works in a rural library in Vermont as a library technologist, is a community manager at MetaFilter.com and author of the popular blog librarian.net<http://www.librarian.net/>. Jessamyn will be discussing digital literacy with us on Wednesday evening and presenting on digital literacy the following afternoon.

*         Betsy Diamant-Cohen - Betsy is the creator of the "Mother Goose on the Loose" programs which has revolutionized the way story times are presented to young children.  Betsy will be speaking about the economic value of early childhood programming and school readiness and presenting a session on transforming preschool storytimes on both Thursday and Friday.

*         Rhoda Janzen - Rhoda will join us for early on Friday for a keynote session and book signing. Rhoda is author of the #1 New York Times bestselling book, Mennonite in a Little Black Dress and the poetry collection Babel's Stair. She holds a Ph.D. from UCLA and teaches English and creative writing at Hope College in Holland, Michigan.

The conference program includes nearly 70 sessions in the following tracks:

Library Programs & Services
Community Engagement, Collaboration and Partnerships
Youth Services
Library Technology & Digital Literacy
Administration & Management
Library Trustees
Legal Issues

In addition to our educational programs we will feature library vendors, door prizes, awards presentations, and an appearance by Marian the Librarian.

We are planning some optional activities to enjoy during your stay.  The Mackinac State Historic Parks is providing all conference attendees free entry to Fort Mackinac and the Richard and Jane Manoogian Mackinac Art Museum for the duration of the conference.  There will be optional carriage tours on Thursday and Friday on the island as well as a trolley tour in Mackinaw City. In addition to library speakers we will also hear from Mackinac State Historic Parks staff and the Bridge Authority.

Our evenings will be full with an Exhibitor Reception on Wednesday evening, a Grand Hotel History lecture on Thursday, a screening of the film Somewhere in Time and more.  Be sure to look for details on Michlib-L when registration opens this month.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

We look forward to seeing you this spring on Mackinac Island.

Shannon
Shannon D. White
Continuing Education Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 West Kalamazoo, P.O. Box 30007, Lansing, MI 48909-7507
Ph: 517-373-9489; Fax: 517-373-5700
Toll free:  877-479-0021
whites29 at michigan.gov<mailto:whites29 at michigan.gov>
http://michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan