[Michlib-l] Minors graduating to adults with lost items/unpaid fines

Nancy ncndl at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 23 17:59:53 EST 2014

We just discussed this at our library the other day.  At our library,
parents sign for their child's card and are the ones who are responsible
for fines and/or lost materials.  I really don't think you can legally
transfer that responsibility from the parent to the child when he/she turns
18.  Given that - we decided that an 18 year old in this situation gets a
new adult card that he signs for him/herself and gets a fresh start.  At
that point we will "close" the juvenile's account and attach the fines and
fees to the parent's account if the parent has one.
NS