[Michlib-l] handling books with inserts responses

director shermandirector at winntel.net
Tue Jan 28 13:46:21 EST 2014

I had a few requests to share the information I gathered regarding the book
"S" or other books with inserts. Sorry it's taken so long to share this!

We are still debating between simply using it as our Adult Summer Reading
prize or adding it to the shelves. If it is added we will be placing our
spine label on the exterior box so the title of the book is still visible
and we will not run into shelving problems. The inserts would then be placed
in an envelope inside the box with a note about the contents, including how
many pieces are inside. Each piece will be marked with the corresponding
page number. At each check-in the pieces will be counted and if any come up
missing they will be marked as such individually.

Following are some other responses we received:

We ran into the same problem last week.  Our solution was to "tip-in" CD
sleeves to the pages that contained "stuff".  It worked very well.  It did;
however, make the book slightly too thick to fit back into it's very cool,
original box.  We had discussed making photocopies of all of the inserts to
have as replacement parts, but I believe decided against it.

Another solution would be to discreetly write corresponding page numbers on
the "stuff" and place them all in an envelope that circulates with the book.

-Mindy S., Dewitt Library

It is awesome, but almost impossible to circulate with all of those pieces
and parts.

See this article:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jj-abrams-mystery-book-s-654109

We have decided not to circulate this book at all.

It is an excellent gift book though, for people to purchase and give as a
gift for the book-lover in their lives.

-Julie S., Dearborn Public Library

We also purchased this book and have not decided what to do with it.
Perhaps I'll use it for a prize in our January-March adult reading program
and let the winner figure out how to keep track of all the pieces!

-Maureen D., Otsego County Library

We had a similar dilemma deciding what to do with S. here at the Canton
Public Library. The librarian that ordered S. agreed to continue to
circulate it even if some of the inserts disappear (as the cool stuff always
does.) We are circulating S. as a group of three items: the book, a 7x10in,
labeled envelope containing all of the inserted materials, and the sleeve
the book came in. We removed all of the inserted material, created a
descriptive list of the contents in numbered order listing the pages they
should be read at, and secured it all in a manila envelope.  Each of the
items has a property label and a number from the contents list. We placed an
RFID tag on the book, the sleeve, and the envelope and coded them as a set
of 26 (if I remember correctly,) all with the same barcode, so that whenever
the item is returned someone will manually count the pieces. The sleeve and
the book itself both received a spine label with our call number and we
taped the S. label to the spine of the novel in an attempt to convey what
the book is actually titled. The manila envelope conveniently fits inside
the sleeve with the book and each of these three large pieces is labeled
with the barcode and "S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst." The bib record also
has two notes explaining the contents and that the 813.54 STR on the spine
is a faux spine label, to help mitigate shelving issues.

-Lauren L., Canton Public Library

We decided not to add after receiving and looking it over. A staff member
tried to read it, but apparently you need to read the story and read the
notes/cards etc at the same time. Decided that we will use it as a door
prize for a library program.

-Amy R., White Lake Township Library

Here are links to some ideas from librarians who participate in the autocat
discussion list.
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.education.libraries.autocat/56940
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.education.libraries.autocat/57003

-Marian V., Comstock Township Library