[Michlib-l] FAQs regarding MLA & Academic Libraries

Asante Cain acain at grpl.org
Mon Jul 14 09:01:04 EDT 2014

Good morning,

During the last month there have been many questions and assertions
regarding Michigan Library Association, academic libraries, and the new
Michigan Academic Library Association (MI-ALA). The MLA Board has spent
a great deal of time since the surprise of the original MI-ALA
announcement reviewing the statement of concerns and addressing how best
to respond. We recognize that the MI-ALA statement of concerns
highlights opportunities to improve the association and make it stronger
for all of our members not just those from academic libraries. Although
we don't agree with all of the statements or anticipated actions, we
appreciate that everyone from MLA and MI-ALA is trying to do their best
to support libraries.

As we move forward, we will need your input and we will need to have an
ongoing dialog with the MI-ALA leadership. At our next MLA Board
meeting, scheduled for September 12, we anticipate a proposal to create
a task force to examine ways to strengthen member engagement opportunities.

In the meantime, the MLA Board has prepared a list of FAQs to make sure
that everyone has some fundamental information
http://www.milibraries.org/assets/1/6/MI-ALA_FAQs.pdf.

If you have additional questions or thoughts, please don't hesitate to
contact us. Contact information is at http://www.milibraries.org/contact/.

Asante Cain, MLA President
Leslie Warren, MLA President Elect
Cathy Wolford, MLA Past President