[Michlib-l] The March listing of Free library-related webinars is available

White, Shannon (MDE) WhiteS29 at michigan.gov
Mon Mar 3 15:14:53 EST 2014

Don't forget about the monthly list of library-related webinars available on the Library of Michigan website.  The document is full of FREE webinar content you may find useful.

Each month you can find the document here:  www.michigan.gov/libraryce<http://www.michigan.gov/libraryce>

Scroll down to the Online Education (National) section to find the PDF document for this month or access this month's document directly here:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/LM_2014_Free_Library_Related_Webinars_449209_7.pdf?20140303150550

Highlights this month include:

*         March 5 (11 am -12 pm)  -- Migrating To A New ILS (Nebraska Library Commission)
Your library's out-of-date ILS is running on an old server that needs to be retired. You need to upgrade the ILS, but you don't know where to start. Let me show you how to plan and execute this migration successfully based on how my library did it and the assistance I have provided to numerous other small libraries during their ILS migrations. I will cover the Selection, Preparation, Migration and Follow-up that has proven to be successful for my library and many others when migrating to a new ILS.

*         March 13 (3-4 pm)  -- How to Get Media Coverage for Your Event (Infopeople)
Join veteran newspaper, magazine and TV reporter Barbara Lewis to learn about the best ways to garner publicity for your event. She'll discuss
Top 15 Tips on dealing with the media.

*         March 19 (3-4 pm)  -- The Librarian as the Candidate; or How to Run Against Your Own Library and Win (San Jose State University)
>From the president down to local races, voters are activated by candidates they "know," not platforms or policy statements. For library elections or funding advocacy, your work as a librarian makes you the best kind of candidate. In advocacy, we tend to talk to the public, to funders, and to voters about our institutions. We need to instead introduce you, the professional librarians, as change-agents in your communities who are worth the funding.

*         March 25 (2-3 pm) -- MeLCat Cataloging Workshop (MCLS)
This full-day workshop is a "must have" for current and future MeLCat libraries. You will learn to catalog a number of formats with special emphasis on MeLCat standards to insure MeLCat participant records are successfully loaded into the statewide MeLCat catalog. Emphasis will be placed on the importance of data in the following fields which are part of the matching process MeLCat uses during record loading.

If you have questions about a particular webinar, please contact the organization that is providing the information. There are links to all the organizations along with the listings.

Also, be sure to note the location of the organization to make certain you are checking for the correct time zone.  The items listed in the document are all in Eastern but when you visit an organizations site they may only list their local time.

Most of these are recorded by the entity providing the webinar. Please check their website for details on availability of archived recordings.

Shannon

Shannon D. White
Continuing Education Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 West Kalamazoo, P.O. Box 30007, Lansing, MI 48909-7507
Ph: 517-373-9489; Fax: 517-373-5700
Toll free:  877-479-0021
whites29 at michigan.gov<mailto:whites29 at michigan.gov>
http://michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan