[Michlib-l] FW: The Census Project Blog

Johnson, Leelyn (MDE) JohnsonL5 at michigan.gov
Thu Mar 6 08:14:38 EST 2014

The Census Project Blog<http://censusprojectblog.org>

________________________________

‘Tis the Season (It’s Budget Time Again!)<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/censusblog/~3/charskSQ3Ek/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

[Census Project Co-Director Terri Ann Lowenthal]By Terri Ann Lowenthal

It’s appropriations season! Which wouldn’t merit a chuckle except, doesn’t it seem like appropriations season is year-round now? Maybe it’s just me.

This gives me a chance to sound like a broken record – not an enviable trait when I am trying to get your attention. But President Obama has unveiled his budget request<http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget> for Fiscal Year 2015, and it is my solemn duty as an advocate of all things census to make visions of smartphone-friendly questionnaires, linked government databases and shrinking dollar signs dance in your head.

The Obama Administration requested<http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2015/assets/commerce.pdf> $1.211 billion dollars for the Census Bureau. That’s a tempting pot of gold for lawmakers looking to fund programs that constituents can see and touch. Research and testing for a statistical exercise five years away? Not so exciting.

Still, the Census Bureau needs every penny of its request to keep 2020 Census planning on track and to maintain a robust, comprehensive and user-friendly American Community Survey (ACS). Let’s break this down<http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2015/assets/com.html>, shall we?

The FY2015 proposal is $266 million more than the current year discretionary appropriation of $945 million, a 28 percent increase. (The Census Bureau also receives roughly $30 million for two mandatory surveys.) All of the new money is for the Periodic Censuses and Programs account ($961M requested; +269M increase), which includes the 2020 Census and ongoing ACS ($689M requested; +226M increase).

The window of opportunity for 2020 Census research and testing<http://censusprojectblog.org/2014/02/03/putting-2020-census-innovations-to-the-test/> will close in 2015, when the Census Bureau must select a design framework (a decision already a year behind schedule) and begin the second phase of census planning: operational design and systems development. In a related new initiative, the president requested a bump in funding to build an enterprise-wide integrated system for data collection and processing (Data Processing Systems — $65M requested; +34M increase). Sure would beat having unique systems for each survey and census, don’t you think? And the Census Bureau hopes to resume the Boundary and Annexation Survey<http://www.census.gov/geo/partnerships/bas.html>, suspended this year due to budget cuts. The results come in handy when you want to put all of those enumerated people and houses in the right city, village or town.

Remember congressional angst over the ACS that led to an embarrassing 2012 House vote to eliminate the survey (with no Plan B as to how the government would function without the data)? The Census Bureau must complete a well-timed, comprehensive review of ACS content and methods next year, ahead of a national field test in 2016 and submission of topics to Congress by April 1, 2017.

The Census Bureau needs money for other programs that have been in congressional crosshairs. The 2012 Economic Census is almost history (FY2015 is the last of its six-year cycle), but as Blood, Sweat, and Tears once sang<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK62tfoCmuQ>, what comes down must go up. Or something like that. Anyway, the end of one six-year quinquennial census cycle is the start of a new one; the $119 million request (+5M increase) will allow the Census Bureau to finish analyzing and disseminating 2012 Economic Census data and start planning for the 2017 canvass of American businesses.

Finally, the president is proposing $248 million for the Census Bureau’s second major account, Salaries and Expenses (S&E), a decrease of $4 million from current year funding. The ongoing activities covered under S&E include vital economic, demographic and social statistics collected through the Current Population Survey, Survey of Income and Program Participation, and other programs.

We’ll have more information about the Census Bureau’s plans for 2015 when the Commerce Department releases detailed budget justifications in a week or two. In the meantime, congressional appropriators are getting down to work. The deadline for submitting testimony<http://appropriations.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=370575> to the House Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies is March 31; the Senate subcommittee deadline<http://www.appropriations.senate.gov/upload/OWT-Guidelines-CJS-FY15.pdf> is April 25. Let’s see if we can make the foundation of our democracy and basis of informed decision-making sound as exciting as we know it is.

[http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/comments/censusblog.wordpress.com/501/]<http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/gocomments/censusblog.wordpress.com/501/>

You are subscribed to email updates from The Census Project Blog<http://censusprojectblog.org>

Email delivery powered by Google