[Michlib-l] Michigan Libraries for Life 2014 Campaign

Duimstra,Scott duimstras at cadl.org
Thu May 15 16:33:36 EDT 2014

Michigan Libraries for Life 2014 - An Invitation to All Libraries in Michigan!<http://thlibrary.wordpress.com/2014/05/13/michigan-libraries-for-life-2014-an-invitation-to-all-libraries-in-michigan/>

If you could save a life, would you?  Most people would say "Yes!" without hesitation.  One of the simplest ways to save and improve lives is by supporting organ, tissue and eye donation.

For the past four years, libraries across Michigan have participated in a simple and effective campaign to educate patrons about donation and transplant, and to give them an opportunity to join the Michigan Organ Donor Registry. The campaign is called Michigan Libraries for Life<https://sites.google.com/site/michiganlibraries4life/>. This effort, which began with the University of Michigan's Taubman Health Sciences Library<http://www.lib.umich.edu/thl>, and has expanded to include public, academic, special, and hospital libraries across the state. This collaborative effort has inspired more than 1,900<https://sites.google.com/site/michiganlibraries4life/statistics> people to sign up as donors!

"We've received great feedback from library staff," said Richard Pietroski, Gift of Life Michigan's CEO. "They  appreciate having an easy yet meaningful way to engage their patrons in saving and improving lives. Michigan Libraries for Life gives hope to the 3,200 Michigan patients waiting for a life-saving organ transplant."

More than 95% of Americans<http://organdonor.gov/dtcp/nationalsurveyorgandonation.pdf> support organ, tissue and eye donation. Yet in Michigan only 44% of adults have joined the state's donor registry, slightly less than the 47% national average.  That discrepancy is largely due to residents not knowing how to properly join the Registry.  Michigan Libraries for Life helps to address that informational need in our state.

"Someone you know probably needs - or will someday need - a lifesaving organ or tissue transplant.  People die waiting because not enough organs are available. Your library can be a great help by registering donors and/or providing awareness about organ donation," said Anne Rau, librarian and living kidney donor. "By participating in Michigan Libraries for Life your library is helping to save lives."

We are excited to bring this life-saving event back in 2014!  Libraries are welcome to participate for as many hours as they are able to staff a registration table in their libraries, from 2 hours to 7 days. This year's drive will start on Monday, October 6th and run through Sunday, October 12th. Gift of Life Michigan<http://giftoflifemichigan.org/> will provide free in-person training for library representatives at their Ann Arbor office on Friday, August 22nd. We are also developing training materials for institutions that are unable to attend the in-person session.

"I enjoyed taking part in this well-orchestrated event," commented one librarian. "I hope to participate again next year."

The key to this program's success is the participation of dozens of libraries. Your library is warmly invited to join the 2014 Michigan Libraries for Life organ donor registration drive. If your organization would like to participate in this year's effort, please contact us at MichLib4Life at umich.edu<mailto:MichLib4Life at umich.edu> or (734) 936-1394 to receive more information.

You can also find Michigan Libraries for Life on Facebook! www.facebook.com/ML4Life<http://www.facebook.com/ML4Life>

For additional information visit: https://sites.google.com/site/michiganlibraries4life/home

Scott Duimstra, Associate Director of Public Services
Capital Area District Libraries - Administration
401 S. Capitol Avenue, Lansing, MI 48933
517-367-0813| duimstras at cadl.org<mailto:duimstras at cadl.org>
www.cadl.org<http://www.cadl.org> | Twitter: www.twitter.com/cadl<http://www.twitter.com/cadl> | Facebook: www.facebook.com/cadlibrary<http://www.facebook.com/cadlibrary>