[Michlib-l] Michigan Reads 2014 Program Announced!!

Reish, Karren (MDE) ReishK at michigan.gov
Thu May 22 16:04:13 EDT 2014

The Library of Michigan is pleased to announce the 2014 Michigan Reads! book is Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band written by Kwame Alexander and illustrated by Tim Bowers. We welcome children, parents, caregivers, librarians and teachers to participate in our 10th program year.

In our 2014 book, Acoustic Rooster learns about music, teamwork and sportsmanship. After realizing he can't win the barnyard talent contest as a solo act with such fierce competition, a rooster with a love for jazz looks to help from other animals. A quartet with an unbelievable sound is created, with their ability to work together cleverly captured in this book with rhyming text, references to key American musicians, and vivid illustrations.

Look at http://www.michigan.gov/michiganreads for more information and materials over the summer as we post the author and illustrator tour locations, press release and many other materials. The programming guide with activities and materials for infant, toddler, preschool and K-2 (aligned to the Common Core State Standards) is available now for those interested in planning library and classroom activities.

We have also a wide range of resources and information for librarians and teachers and parents and caregivers on early literacy at the site that have been completely updated. Come take a look!

Karren Reish
Library Grants Coordinator
Library of Michigan
517-241-0021