[Michlib-l] CORRECTION: Society Receives Kellogg Grant to Fund Diversity Efforts and Michigan History for Kids Magazine

HSM hsm at hsmichigan.org
Wed May 28 16:23:53 EDT 2014

An inadvertent misspelling was found in the previous news release sent out
under this title. Please see the corrected news release below. We apologize
for any inconvenience.

May 28, 2014

Society Receives Kellogg Grant to Fund Diversity Efforts and Michigan
History for Kids Magazine

The Historical Society of Michigan (HSM) is pleased to announce that it has
been awarded a grant by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation to achieve its project
"Expanding the Story: Engaging Michigan's Urban, Minority, and Underserved
Communities." This $300,000 grant will allow HSM to accomplish two
significant objectives: 1) to continue the work of its original Kellogg
Foundation grant to more fully engage Michigan's minority and underserved
communities in the appreciation of state history, and 2) to begin a new
initiative to re-launch Michigan History for Kids magazine. The grant period
will be from July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2016.

"We are very happy that a major element of this grant will enable us to
bring back Michigan History for Kids," said Larry J. Wagenaar, Executive
Director of the Society. "Besides being an important tool for the study of
history for elementary-age children, this magazine will feature lessons in
history that reflect the diversity of our state."

Geared toward students in the third and fourth grades, Michigan History for
Kids will be launched in several stages. "We will be working from the ground
up on this magazine," continued Wagenaar. "From hiring a new Education
Outreach Director and Editor of Michigan History for Kids who will oversee
the project to developing content that reflects the stories of all Michigan
peoples, Michigan History for Kids and its related efforts will be a huge
undertaking, but one we are looking forward to bringing to fruition."

The Education Outreach Director and Editor of Michigan History for Kids will
also assist with education outreach by developing curriculum, in tandem with
teachers, that ties together school requirements with content from the
magazine, the Michigan History Day (National History Day in Michigan)
competition, and other educational initiatives of the Society. The re-launch
for Michigan History for Kids is expected to include the debut of a digital
version that children will be able to access over the Internet. A print
version will also be available. Limited availability of Michigan History for
Kids is expected in the fall of 2014 as HSM undertakes a "soft launch" with
select schools to allow for feedback and improvements in preparation for
larger scale availability in 2015.

The grant will also continue the work of HSM's original Kellogg Foundation
grant, "Exploring the History of All Michigan Peoples," which ended December
31, 2013. This round will see support and increased services for Michigan's
minority and underserved communities through a multitude of channels.

First, HSM will extend in-depth field services and professional consulting
to organizations that are focused on preserving and interpreting minority
history so that they become sustainable institutions within their
communities. Second, outreach to communities with high populations of
minority students will continue so that more children will be able to
participate in the Michigan History Day competitions. There will also be
opportunities for after-school clubs and schools to receive additional
support in order to partake in the Michigan History Day program. Third, HSM
will continue to offer diverse content in every facet of its publications,
conferences, and workshops.

For more information on HSM and its programs, visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org> www.hsmichigan.org.

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

For Immediate Release

The Historical Society of Michigan
5815 Executive Dr.
Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828

Fax: (517) 324-4370

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org

Contact

Nancy Feldbush
Communications Manager

(517) 324-1828

 <mailto:feldbush at hsmichigan.org> feldbush at hsmichigan.org

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.