[Michlib-l] Michigan legislation about library boards

Michael Tyler mptyler340 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:58:39 EDT 2014

Senate Bill 546 has been signed into law.  It is now PA 131 of 2014.
Directors of PA 164 libraries should inform the /members/ (no longer
directors) of their /governing/ boards about the changes which mostly
establish for the first time the circumstances that define when the
office of a board member becomes vacant.

Directors of PA 164 libraries in townships with elected boards should be
further aware that the Michigan Election Law, PA 116 of 1954 contains
language that is incompatible with the provisions of PA 164 as now
amended by PA 131.  Section 358 of the Michigan Election defines who are
elected township officers, including, per section 358(1)(f), "...6 free
[PA 164] public library directors." Section 368 then defines the events
that create a vacancy if the office of a township officer which per
358(1)(f) includes those PA 164 library directors.  Finally, section 370
provides that vacancies in office of township officers shall be filled,
"... by appointment by the township board,..."

Simply stated: As amended by the new PA 131, both PA 164 and PA 116 now
contain provisions that define when the office of PA 164 board member
becomes vacant, and how such a vacancy is to be filled.  I doubt that
this will be too much of a problem except possibly in townships where
the library board and the township board are not on the best of terms.
However, the next time an amendment to PA 116 is seriously being
considered by the legislature, the library community should probably ask
that Section 358(1)(f) be repealed to resolve the incompatibility.

Michael Tyler, Chair
The Library Network