[Michlib-l] E-Rate Question from Marian

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Wed Nov 5 11:36:24 EST 2014

Greetings,

How a library is charged for E-rate consulting is negotiable and there are several popular methods.

One method is where the consultant takes a percentage of the discount received. On the up-side, you know that you won't spend your entire discount on consulting services. On the down-side, this method is sometimes frowned upon. Look at it this way. If your discount is one million and the consultant takes a percentage that's going to result in a much higher fee than if your discount is one thousand. And certainly a larger library with more complicated and expensive services to discount will take more time to work with. But is it a proportionally equitable system in the end? Many consultants have weighed in that it is not.

Another method is to charge by the hour. On the up-side, you only get charged for the time that you use. On the down-side, the clock is always ticking. If what you need is access to a consultant as you navigate E-rate, you want to be able to talk to them without worrying about billing in 15-minute increments. Especially, if as Marian suggested, you're considering a consultant on a short-term basis. You want every bit of knowledge you can glean from them in the time you plan to have them.

A third method is to be charged by the project. In other words, you work with the consultant to come to a price based on the complexity of your filing situation. On the up-side, you know what you're paying going in. But you'll also need to do some research so you can enter into the negotiations with a good sense of what's reasonable for your library to pay.

Where do you get more information about what's reasonable to pay for E-rate consulting? From your colleagues in the Michigan library world, of course! Michlib-l is a great resource for seeking out other libraries in situations similar to your own and asking about their experiences. And don't forget about your co-ops. Michigan co-op directors are either personally responsible for answering E-rate questions from member libraries or they have designated someone within the co-op to do this.

Sonya Schryer Norris

Library Consultant and Plinkit Coordinator
Library of Michigan
517-373-4457
http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan
http://www.mel.org<http://www.mel.org/>