[Michlib-l] Lexile level and reading counts

Robert P. Holley aa3805 at wayne.edu
Thu Nov 13 19:23:44 EST 2014

One of my essays for my collection development class is on this topic. I don't see why students shouldn't be able to read books that they want to read at either higher or lower levels. My school librarians spouse often brings home for me YA literature that she thinks I would enjoy reading even at my retirement age. Most of the time she is right. One of my favorite books of the last year was "Stupid Fast."

The other issue is those students whose reading ability outstrips their emotional maturity. Perhaps this isn't all that much a problem because I also read adult novels in grade school. I just didn't understand certain parts.

Bob

Robert P. Holley
Professor, School of Library & Information Science
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI 48202
aa3805 at wayne.edu
248-547-0306 (phone)