[Michlib-l] Multiple job openings

Christine Hage christine.hage at rhpl.org
Fri Nov 14 14:28:58 EST 2014

*Job Announcement *

*Rochester Hills Public Library*

*Hourly Youth, Teen, Adult and Outreach/Bookmobile Services Librarians*

*We’ve recently implemented several in-house promotions and need more
hourly and substitute librarians.  We’re looking for several energetic
librarians who might be interested in future salaried positions here at
RHPL.*

*Position:*         Substitute/hourly librarians (including evening and
weekend hours)

*Salary:            *$9.10 - $20.60 per hour

*Dates*:              Deadline for applications: December 8, 2014

                        Interview anticipated: Week of December 15, 2014

                        Decision anticipated by: December 12, 2014

                        Starting date:  ASAP

*Application:*  Please submit online a *resume, responses to questions at
the end of this posting* and a completed *employment application*,
http://www.rhpl.org/jobs

*Primary Job Duties:*

Provide professional reader’s advisory and reference services to library
users

Instruct library users in use of the library and its online resources

Will be assigned to a specific department

Work independently within the broad guidelines set by library policies and
the library director

Maintain awareness of new developments and trends in the field through
professional journals, workshops, conferences, etc.

Performs related duties as assigned

*Required Qualifications:*

·         Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited
institution

·         Flexible, friendly, approachable and enthusiastic manner with all
ages

·         Knowledge of online information resources, computers, software
programs (such as Microsoft Windows, Office)

·         Familiarity with technology, especially tablets, e-readers,
smartphones and devices used with the library’s digital services

·         Dependable and flexible work habits with a schedule

·         Strong oral and written communication skills

·         Knowledge of the philosophy and techniques of public library
service

·         Demonstrated knowledge of library materials and resources

·         Creativity to develop and implement new library programs and
services

·         Think analytically to develop new or revised systems, procedures,
and work flow

·         Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment, organize
job duties, work independently, and adapt to changing procedures and
situations

*Desired Characteristics*

High energy, self-motivation to create and provide new services in a
rapidly growing library

Awareness of new developments and trends in public libraries

Full range of Internet skills and experience

Knowledge of online information resources, computers, software programs
(Windows, Microsoft Office products and email) and automated circulation
system (Polaris)

Participate in website development and maintenance

Flexibility to work varied hours

This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and
qualifications; it is intended to describe the major responsibilities and
requirements of this position.

Please respond to the following questions and include those responses with
your resume and RHPL application.

   1. Why do you want to work in a public library?
   2. What coursework or experience makes you the best person for one of
   these jobs?
   3. If I were to duplicate a typical week of your reading choices, what
   would I be reading?  (By choices, I mean just about everything short of
   cereal boxes.)
   4. What types of services do you think public libraries will be offering
   20 years from now and how will they be provided?

Christine Lind Hage,
President, United for Libraries
Library Director, Rochester Hills Public Library
500 Olde Towne Road
Rochester, MI 48307-2043
248/650-7122

Raising a reader is: Talking * Singing * Reading * Writing * Playing