[Michlib-l] Project Gutenberg - MLIS Assignment

Lois Keel lois-sez at lois-sez.com
Sun Oct 5 23:37:56 EDT 2014

On 10/5/2014 9:08 AM, jsturgeon at vicksburglibrary.org wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I would greatly appreciate any opinions on the Project Gutenberg
> E-Book platform.  I am currently working on an evaluative assignment
> of 5 platforms.  If you can speak to any/all of the following:
>
> -What is the user experience?  How easy is it to use this platform to
> find and read a book?  What works well and what doesn't work so well?
> -What is the library experience?  What are pros/cons/issues you have
> encountered promoting this service in libraries?
>
> Thank You For Your Time!
>
> Joanna L. Sturgeon
> MLIS Candidate - Wayne State University
> Cataloger/Melcat Services
> Vicksburg District Library

Joanna,
When subbing I haven't had the need to promote Project Gutenberg,
however I have had other reasons to use and promote it.  It's a great
way to find Public Domain material.  On my weekly storytelling blog,
<http://www.StorytellingResearchLoiS>  I frequently post stories in a
series I call Keeping the Public in Public Domain and, if an online
source of the entire book from which the story originates is available,
I include the link.  A great many of those books are on Project
Gutenberg.  I also enjoy downloading many of those folklore anthologies
to my e-reader as it lets me carry them with me as easily a paperback.
Thanks to Project Gutenberg I can be even in a foreign country and
access stories to create a program that matches the needs of a specific
audience.  I've done this several times.  Repeatedly I've also seen
fellow storytellers around the world don't always have access to the
library and bookstore resources we have, but Project Gutenberg can help.

Hope this helps with your assignment and if I can be of further
assistance, please feel free to get in touch.

--
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Website:<http://www.LoiS-sez.com>,

* Storyteller in MI Arts and Humanities Directory
* In Historical Society of Michigan Directory
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-
speakers-musicians/storyteller-
lois-sprengnether-keel/>
* State Liaison for National Storytelling Network
* Webmaster for<http://www.MichiganStorytelling.org>