[Michlib-l] OverDrive Statement Regarding Adobe Digital Editions

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Oct 10 08:32:45 EDT 2014

All,

By now you've probably read at least one of the numerous articles that appeared earlier this week regarding library patron privacy concerns, OverDrive, and ADE (Adobe Digital Editions). Late yesterday, Thursday, October 9 OverDrive released a brief statement that includes a link to one of the original articles, as well as the Adobe response. There is not a lot here, except that the statement does note that it is OverDrive's understanding that the issue concerns ADE 4, which is not used as part of the OD app. I am sharing this on account there are many OverDrive subscriber libraries in Michigan. I don't know if this information will be helpful to you when it comes to answering questions from your patrons regarding this issue. TLN administers a 46 library, soon to be 47 with the pending addition of Flat Rock Public Library, OverDrive group known as Download Destination http://tln.lib.overdrive.com/ To that end I've asked Mr. Brian Potash, Account Executive at OverDrive, to draft a response to us in regards to this issue. He has said he will do so.

We will continue to monitor this situation, and provide updates as they become available.

http://blogs.overdrive.com/front-page-library-news/2014/10/09/overdrives-statement-about-adobe-digital-editions-privacy-concerns/

Jim Flury

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager