[Michlib-l] Non-traditional circulating collections

Amelia Nolan anolan at sjcity.com
Tue Oct 14 12:03:02 EDT 2014

At our library we do circulate puzzles.  We assign the puzzle a number in our catalog and then on the back of each piece, we put that number on it in sharpie. This is in case we find a random puzzle piece on the floor, we know what puzzle it belongs to.

We have the number of pieces in the puzzle on the marc record and also on the bag that the puzzle is housed in so the patrons can see how many pieces are in the bag.  When a staff member goes to check it out or in, a message on the screen pops up saying "check for 25 pieces" or however many the puzzle has.

If they do loose a piece, we will charge them full replacement costs since we obviously can't circ after that.

Hope that helps and good luck!  Our puzzles are pretty popular and it is a nice thing to offer to families.

Amy Nolan

Children's Librarian

St. Joseph Public Library

269-983-7167