[Michlib-l] Volunteer Readers Needed for Write Michigan

Heidi Nagel hnagel at kdl.org
Mon Oct 27 12:58:46 EDT 2014

Hello all!

If you've ever wanted to be part of an exciting endeavor, here's your chance to review entries for the Write Michigan Short Story Contest.

*         Who:  Looking for volunteers, Friends of the library members, book club members, retired schoolteachers and librarians- AKA people who like to read!-to help us vet hundreds of entries into the top 10 semi-finalists' stories in three age categories.

*         What:  Volunteer as a reviewer for entries into the Write Michigan Short Story Contest. This contest is a partnership between Kent District Library, Schuler Books and Music and the Herrick District Library. Write Michigan accepts entries of 3,000 words (or less) short stories from writers of all ages who live in Michigan. Winners will receive cash prizes and be published in an anthology by Chapbook Press.

*         Where:  Submissions will be available for review online.  Volunteers will be given a login.

*         When:  Reading/reviewing will take place from December 3, 2014 and January 4, 2015.  Contest ends November 30.

*         How:  volunteers are asked to read entries in one of three categories (adult-18+; teen-12-17; youth-under 12).

o   Each volunteer will have 10-13 stories total.

o   Each story will be read by two volunteers.

o   Story authors will not be disclosed but we ask that if volunteers have entered the contest or have family members who did, they please review a different contest category.

o   Please find our judging criteria here:  http://www.writemichigan.org/JudgingCriteria.pdf.  However, the initial score that volunteers will be providing will be on a simple scale of one to ten, with ten being excellent.

*         Why:  We want to extend this opportunity to those who love to read, who love to promote the written word, who love to see good things happen to people and who love new ideas.

Details:

1.       Please reply by Monday, November 3.

2.       Fill in the following details.

Name

Email

Organization

1st Choice

2nd Choice

Last Minute

Conflict of Interest

Sample

Adam Apple

aapple at riverlibrary.org<mailto:aapple at riverlibrary.org>

River Public Library

Teen

Youth

Yes

None

Your information here

3.       Respond to Michelle Boisvenue-Fox, mboisvenue-fox at kdl.org<mailto:mboisvenue-fox at kdl.org>, Assistant Director of Kent District Library

We also have need of reviewers to review last minute stories if other reviewers did not complete reviews.  If you can do 2-3 stories on January 6 and January 7, 2015 then please add a "Yes" to the "Last Minute" column above.

Your help is most appreciated!  Also, if you know of other volunteers, Friends members, book club members, retired schoolteachers and librarians who might be interested, please share this email with them.  We'd love to include them.

Thanks!  Michelle

Michelle Boisvenue-Fox
Assistant Director
Kent District Library
814 West River Center  Dr NE | Comstock Park MI 49321
616-784-2195 | mboisvenue-fox at kdl.org<mailto:mboisvenue-fox at kdl.org>