[Michlib-l] Patron Fines affect on Computer privileges.

Kay Schwartz kschwartz at fpl.info
Thu Oct 30 09:48:16 EDT 2014

My personal opinion on this issue, which could start a Mich-lib email storm, but here it is anyway (I get the Mich-lib digest, so maybe there’s already a conversation going that I haven’t yet seen):

The purpose of fines and fees is to protect library assets that people check out and do not return timely or do not return at all. I don’t believe accessing the computer has any relation to this issue. So I don’t see a need to prohibit computer use because someone owes fines related to physical materials. We, of course, don’t allow them to check out additional physical materials when they have fines at an egregious level, but that makes perfect sense. Though removal of computer privileges could be a motivation to pay fines, but I don’t believe it’s justified.

In the spirit of “creative conflict” dialogue,
Kay

Kay Schwartz
Director
Flint Public Library, 1026 E. Kearsley St., Flint, MI 48502
Phone: 810-249-2038