[Michlib-l] Great News Concerning a MAP Partner Venue: Yankee Air Museum

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Oct 31 07:59:39 EDT 2014

All,

I thought I would share this great news that appeared in an article in yesterday's Detroit Free Press (link to article at bottom) about our MAP partner venue Yankee Air Museum. As a result of a successful fund raising campaign the Yankee Air Museum was able to acquire a portion of the former Willow Run Bomber Plant, made famous by the thousands of "Rosie the Riveters" who worked there to produce the B-24 bomber during WWII. In 2017, to coincide with the move into its new building the Yankee Air Museum will change its name to National Museum of Aviation and Technology at Historic Willow Run. On behalf of the MAP program TLN sent a congratulatory note to YAM, in which we also thanked them on behalf of all Michigan public libraries for their continued participation in the Michigan Activity Pass program.

As an aside, the first automobile I ever owned was produced at the GM Willow Run Assembly Plant.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2014/10/30/yankee-air-museum-willow-run-bomber-plant-national-museum-aviation-technology-historic-willow-run/18179273/

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager