[Michlib-l] Offering Insurance - responses

natalie bazan hopkinslibrary at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 10:33:53 EDT 2014

Hi Everyone, I had a few libraries ask me to post the responses that I received.  I've copied and pasted them below.  Thank you to everyone who responded and was willing to share their insurance information.Natalie Bazan
Otsego District Library - Here at ODL only the full time staff get insurance.However we do make AFLAC an option for part-time staff and some do purchase that.I also used AFLAC at LTL for part-time staff that wanted to purchase it when we were there. Caro Area District Library- We are a large class 3.  While I can’t tell you how the board arrived at the percentage the staff pay (I’ve only been here about 6 months), I do know that they pay 10%.  Also, those of us who do not take the insurance receive $50 per month added to our paycheck.
White Cloud Library - Here at White Cloud we receive $100 per month that employees are to use to help pay for their health insurance.  If some of the employees receive health insurance from a spouse it is like a bonus.  In the end, all employees receive the same amount.
Muskegon Area District Library - We pay 100% for full time. none for Part time, although you can prorate for part time like some libraries do. IE 20 hour employee pays 1/2 library pays 1/2. We do not pay people who opt out.Shiawassee District Library -We only provide insurance to full time employees and there is no bonus at this time for opting out.  Right now the library board is phasing in the 20% payment by employees as required by state law for health insurance; we will probably be at 10% in a few months, but the board could decide to charge the entire 20% at once if they so choose.Loutit District Library - We offer insurance to all full time (over 32 hours per week) employees. It's not based on length of service just on if you are FT or not.There is a cash payment if you opt out of insurance. The amount paid for not taking insurance is set each year by the Board as part of our budget process. It's either $1,000 or $1,500 per year and that is paid to the employee as part of their bi-weekly pay.