[Michlib-l] Proctoring Exams

Jess Hesselgrave jhesselgrave at ssldl.info
Thu Sep 18 15:58:40 EDT 2014

Tracie,
We offer test proctoring services free of charge at Salem-South Lyon
District Library.  We offer it to anyone - cardholders and non-cardholders
alike, and we keep statistics to see who we are proctoring for.  Per our
old test proctoring policy we would schedule a student for a laptop in one
of our private study rooms any day that we were open. That interfered with
patron usage of study rooms, especially in summer when we get slammed with
tutors.

Our new policy offers test proctoring only on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and
students take the exams on a public computer.  Not only does this limit the
amount of time we spend on proctoring exams to just two days, but it also
opens the study rooms up to other patrons and groups.  Of course with this
new policy we do make exceptions according to directions of the test and
the policies of the school (some specifically request quiet rooms or make
tests electronically accessible on certain days only).  Our new policy has
definitely helped with scheduling difficulties and staff time commitment.