[Michlib-l] Question about fees for damaged books

Stanczak, Cindy cstanczak at albionlibrary.org
Mon Sep 29 11:01:20 EDT 2014

We don't charge a patron if the book can still circulate.  It's either
usable or it's damaged and we billed the patron for its replacement.  If
it's stained, but it doesn't pose a biological (mold, mildew, etc.) hazard,
we put a note on the front page noting the type of damage, as well as a
date when it was discovered, and the appropriate staff initials.  If it's
torn or losing pages, but can be easily repaired, we do that and note the
mended date in the same way. If it's not repairable, then we bill for
damage.  If it's just circ'ed many, many times, we just call it usage and
withdraw it without billing it.

Hope this helps.

For more information, please call 517-629-3993 or visit us at 501 S.
Superior Street in downtown Albion.  Albion District Library: Transforming
Minds, Changing Lives.  Online at www.albionlibrary.org, or find us on
Facebook!

Cynthia Stanczak
Interim Co-Director