[Michlib-l] MLA Business, Marketing and Management Success Workshop

Taylor, Laura taylorla at macomb.edu
Thu Apr 9 12:31:24 EDT 2015

 MLA  Business, Marketing and Management Success Workshop - April 24, 2015
                                               Grand Rapids Public Library

Targeted topics and speakers include:

The Accidental Social Worker; Libraries, Equal Access and Mental Health Crisis Situations
In this session we will learn about mental illness, addiction and homelessness in relation to crisis situations that can arise. We will work to recognize signs of depression, anxiety, panic and psychosis as well as learning to spot the signs of a potential suicide. We will learn a few simple steps about how to respond to crisis situations. We will also look at the myths and facts surrounding mental health concerns. Michael Pyne has worked in social work for 30 years.
Michael Pyne, Mental Health First Aid instructor/Chairman of Suicide Prevention Coalition in Muskegon County

Marketing Library Marketing
Have you heard this advice, "If you're leading a parade, make sure someone is following you"? In my current position, I've come to recognize that library marketing is like leading a very, very long parade. Keeping it compelling, fresh and fun and interesting can be a challenge. Some people question the need to promote the library at all. More people are convinced that they can do marketing themselves. You just make flyers, right? (Sound familiar librarians?) Throw in how social media keeps changing the "parade route" by altering the landscape and marketing libraries can be a struggle.
Heidi Nagel, Kent District Libraries

Managing Organizational Ripples Before The Tsunami Occurs
In 2011, Macomb Community College implemented a new era of collaborative leadership under the administrative umbrella of the Dean of Learning Resources and Libraries. Dr. Michael Balsamo, a career business and project manager, was placed in charge of a newly combined area with limited knowledge in the specific area of library resources. Experience the management techniques, skills and style that helped a NNLL (New Non-Librarian Leader) to successfully empower, motivate and build relationships among staff, students, faculty and administration. This session will discuss motivating employees to build relationships, breaking down of departmental silos, span of control, ripple management and organizational equity.
Dr. Michael J. Balsamo, Macomb Community College
Collaborative Marketing Across Public, Private and Non-Profit Organizations
Optimizing your marketing opportunities and expanding audiences often means leveraging your cultural capital, especially when collaborating with community partners. It's important to understand the value of what each partner brings to the table and how to align with a diverse group of organizations in the public, private and non-profit sectors while staying true to your mission. This session will discuss basic principles of collaborative business models and governance, processes for aligning interests and intersecting missions, organizing a unified marketing plan and staying on message throughout.
Kerri VanderHoff, Grand Rapids Art Museum

For more information about this workshop :  http://www.milibraries.org/events/business-marketing-and-management-success-workshop/

Laura Taylor, MLIS
Manager - Library Services
Macomb Community College