[Michlib-l] Reorganization of Children/Adult DVD Collections

Emma Olmstead-Rumsey erumstead at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 19:09:07 EDT 2015

Hi Jaema and all,

At my branch of the Capital Area District Libraries, our DVDs are housed in
two different areas. In one area, aimed at adults and teens, the movies are
divided by genre (Mystery, Informational, Musicals, etc.). We have a
separate section of DVDs in the children's area, and that section is
divided into "Children's" and "Family." "Children's" is educational DVDs as
well as movies that are really aimed at young children. "Family" is
feature-length movies, animated or live action, that are aimed mainly at
kids but that parents hopefully won't mind watching. As a rule of thumb,
G-rated movies go in Children's and PG movies go in Family.

Occasionally patrons search for a family movie in the adult/teen area and
are surprised not to find it, but overall the system seems to work very
well.

Hope that's helpful,

Emma