[Michlib-l] Youth Cards and DVDs

James Lenze jamesl at Gardencitymi.org
Thu Dec 3 13:50:48 EST 2015

Devin,
In keeping with the ALA’s  Free Access to Libraries for Minors<http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/librarybill/interpretations/freeaccesslibraries>: An Interpretation of the Library Bill of Rights, we allow every patron (in good standing) to checkout any of our circulating material.  We leave it up to the parent(s) to monitor/limit a minor’s access.  The last sentence of Section 1 of our policy states this position.  Our policy may be found here: http://gardencitylib.org/PDF/PoliciesPDF/Video2014.pdf

James B Lenze, Director            jamesl at gardencitymi.org
Garden City Public Library
31735 Maplewood St
Garden City, MI 48135
[smile]<http://smile.amazon.com/ch/46-2488901>

From: michlib-l-bounces at mcls.org [mailto:michlib-l-bounces at mcls.org] On Behalf Of Devin Erlandson
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2015 1:19 PM
To: michlib-l at mcls.org
Subject: [Michlib-l] Youth Cards and DVDs

Good afternoon,

We are looking at redoing our loan policy specifically regarding youth cards and borrowing DVDs. Our current policy is that only adult cards can check out DVDs and the owner of said card must be present (so a child can't check out a DVD with mom's card).

We're wondering what other libraries are doing in regards to their DVD policies and youth restrictions. If you have policies to share that would be great!

Much appreciated.

--
Devin Erlandson, MLIS
Information Coordinator