[Michlib-l] School Library Funding

Lester, Kathy kathyl at mimame.org
Fri Feb 20 08:05:52 EST 2015

Thank you Trish for forwarding the Action Alert from ALA.  I know many
people have asked me how they could support School Libraries.  Contacting
Senators Stabenow and Peters to ask them to co-sponsor S.312 which is the
bipartisan SKILLS (Strengthening Kids’ Interest in Learning and Libraries
Act) is one such way.  If you are interested in making a call, but need
assistance with wording about school libraries --- below is a suggestion:

Call Senator Stabenow (202-224-4822) and Senator Peters (202-224-6221). Most
times you will have to leave a voicemail.  You could say something like the
following (modify this slightly to include your own 'voice') ---

“I would like to ask Senator ______  to co-sponsor S. 312 the SKILLS Act
which is the Strengthening Kids’ Interest in Learning and Libraries Act. It
is a bipartisan act introduced by Senators Reed, Cochran, and Whitehouse.
School libraries are critical to improving our education system and for
preparing students to compete in today’s global economy.  Multiple studies
show that strong school library programs have a positive impact on student
achievement. Senator ______, please support dedicated funding for effective
school library programs under ESEA by co-sponsoring S.312. Thank you.”

Please remember to include your name and address with zip code.

Thank you very much,
Kathy

Kathy Lester, MLIS, MA
MAME Past-President, 2014
School Librarian/Technology Integrationist
East Middle School, Plymouth-Canton Schools
*2012 **State Librarian's Excellence Award Winner*
<http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/0,2351,7-160-19270_20585-289712--,00.html>
kathyL at mimame.org
cell: 810-333-5873