[Michlib-l] Technology in the Children's Department

Mary Beth Reasoner mbreasoner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 10:58:45 EST 2015

Dear All, especially Children's Librarians and Youth Librarians -

As part of Tecumseh District Library's current Strategic Plan, we are
investigating adding technology to our Children's Area and Collection.
We have a healthy circulating Children's AV collection of DVDs, Talking
Books on CDs, Read-Alongs, and Music CDs; now we want to add forms of
current technology to the mix.
We already have 18 computers available for public use (patrons of all ages)
in the main section of the library, but this is a completely different
service/collection specifically aimed at children (and their parents) which
we are investigating.,

*Background:*
In the past, we had a Computer set up in the Children's Area for the
purpose of playing children's educational games on CD-ROMs; it was *not*
hooked up to the Internet.
We had both an in-house collection of Children's CD-ROMs and a circulating
collection, which included preschool and early elementary titles such as
Berenstain Bears, Clifford, Sesame Street, I Spy, Curious George, Nancy
Drew, American Girl, Amazon Trail, etc., etc.

While these collections were popular from the beginning, they grew to be
problematic as newer programs came out which would not run on our aging
in-house Children's computer, despite their stated compatibility.  It also
became difficult trying to decide which circulating programs to order that
were compatible with the wide variety of patrons' home computers and
operating systems.
We eventually withdrew these collections as circulation decreased and the
aging computer eventually died.
So, it is time to start over again with fresh ideas and a variety of
current technical formats.

*Questions:*
What kind of *in-house technology* do you provide in your Children's
Section?
What kind of *circulating technology collections* do you provide in your
Children's Section?
What kind of upkeep do the circulating collections require after each
circulation?

Pros and Cons?
Price points?
Brands/Vendors/Titles to consider for each format?
Words of advice?

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and wisdom with TDL on this
new venture!

Mary Beth
Mary Beth Reasoner
Children's Services Librarian
Tecumseh District Library

mbreasoner at gmail.com
www.tecumsehlibrary.org

215 North Ottawa Street
Tecumseh, MI  49286-1564

517-423-2238
517-423-5519 (Fax)

"Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm
to the world."     - Voltaire