[Michlib-l] Registration Open for 2015 Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference in Sterling Heights March 13-14

HSM Web hsmweb at hsmichigan.org
Tue Jan 13 15:38:34 EST 2015

Registration is now open for the 57th Annual
Michigan in Perspective:
The Local History Conference!

March 13-14, 2015 . Sterling Heights, Michigan

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf>
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf> Click here to download the flyer for more information and
session descriptions.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration
/> Go to online registration.

Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference is held annually in
the Wayne/Oakland/
Macomb tri-county area and is open to anyone interested in state or regional
history.

This conference keeps growing each year.Come see what all the excitement is
about!

The largest of our three conferences, this year's conference offers.

.         Four keynotes

.         Twenty-five "breakout" sessions that address local and statewide
history

.         Nearly 50 exhibitors/vendors for attendees to visit

.         Friday Reception at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House

.         Two days full of "meets and greets," refreshments, and optional
meals

.         Plus, a brand-new, must-see event! Our Saturday Gala!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf> Click here to download the flyer for more information and
session descriptions.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration
/> Go to online registration.

Here is a preview of our keynotes and our new Gala!

At our Opening Keynote, Joel Stone of the Detroit Historical Society will
speak about "Belle Isle: People's Park Alive!" Come to learn about Belle
Isle's fascinating history and its reawakening.

The Friday Luncheon Keynote will be presented by Annmarie Erickson of the
Detroit Institute of Arts. She will discuss "DIA: Not For Sale." From the
bankruptcy filing to the grand bargain to the confirmation of the city's
plan of adjustment, Ms. Erickson recounts the pivotal role the DIA played in
dealing with the largest municipal bankruptcy in history.

Join us for Saturday's Breakfast Keynote when Peter J. Hammer from the Damon
J. Keith Center for Civil Rights talks about "Freedom? - The 13th Amendment
150 Years Later." This riveting presentation outlines the evolutionary
transformation from slavery to Jim Crow segregation to the "spatial racism"
that defines Southeast Michigan.

At the Saturday Luncheon Keynote, Lynn Anderson, Victoria Mobley & Elaine
Vermeersch will discuss "Fashion and the Automobile." This keynote will show
how fashion at the dawn of the automobile was influenced by function,
environment, lifestyle, and world events.

And don't miss our brand-new Saturday Gala event "Loosening the Laces: The
History of Michigan Told Through Fashion." Come to see Michigan's history
come alive through the fashions of the eras. From the Great Lakes Plains
Indians, French Voyageurs, and Colonials.to the Civil War, Victorian, and
Edwardian Ages.to the decades of the 20th century, Michigan's long and
diverse past will unfold like never before. This is a great opportunity to
"meet" our state's history in person.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.