[Michlib-l] Health Insurance Benefit Question

Patrick McGinnity island.library at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 17:38:23 EST 2015

Hello all,

We have been looking into the possibility of switching from a group
insurance plan to instead giving our insured employee (there is only one) a
stipend to use toward health insurance. I know there would be legal issues
with doing this pre-tax, but does anyone know if there is anything wrong
with the idea if income tax is paid on the stipend?

We currently have BCBS in a "group of one" plan, which frankly is not a
great deal nor a great plan. If our employee instead purchased insurance
privately on the Marketplace he could get a Gold Plan with Dental for what
we currently pay for his Bronze Plan (w/out dental). So I would appreciate
hearing anyone's thoughts on, or experience with such a stipend/allowance.

Regards,

Patrick S. McGinnity, Director
Beaver Island District Library
26400 Donegal Bay Road