[Michlib-l] Fw: # nextLoC the next librarian of Congress, Let our MI Rep Know

Lois Keel lois-sez at lois-sez.com
Fri Jul 24 16:27:57 EDT 2015

On 7/24/2015 11:59 AM, Steven K. Bowers wrote:

> Michigan rep on the  Joint Committee for the Librarian of Congress.
>  Let them know what you think!

Actually it's Congresswoman Candice Miller and she chairs the Committee
on House Administration which will consider this and the possible
splitting off of the Copyright Office.  Unfortunately House emails only
accept emails from constituents in their own district. I had to contact
my Representative and request he share his views with her.  I included
the EFF article,
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/07/copyright-office-belongs-library
,  explaining why the separation of the Copyright Office works against
the public interest and Public Domain.

Its a touchy issue with me as Sonny Bono's legislation changed 20th
Century Public Domain and its intent was more to keep Mickey Mouse out
of P.D. than P.D.'s intent to maintain our cultural heritage. (Stating
it moved us in line with international copyright overlooks the litigious
nature of U.S. publishing compared to other countries.)

For something more pleasant, read occasional P.D. stories within my
weekly blog, <http://www.storytellingresearchlois.com/> ,  as the
segment, "Keeping the Public in Public Domain", is often featured
there.  I include this statement:
This is part of a series of postings of stories under the category,
"Keeping the Public in Public Domain."  The idea behind Public Domain
was to preserve our cultural heritage after the authors and their
immediate heirs were compensated.  I feel strongly current copyright law
delays this intent on works of the 20th century. My own library of
folklore includes so many books within the Public Domain I decided to
share stories from them.  I hope you enjoy discovering new stories.
LoiS(tepping off my soapbox before I get the rant rolling)

--
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Website:<http://www.LoiS-sez.com>,

* Storyteller in MI Arts and Humanities Directory
* In Historical Society of Michigan Directory
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-
speakers-musicians/storyteller-
lois-sprengnether-keel/>
* State Liaison for National Storytelling Network
* Webmaster for<http://www.MichiganStorytelling.org>