[Michlib-l] Summer Reading - Call for ideas for the 2017 manuals

Reish, Karren (MDE) ReishK at michigan.gov
Wed Jul 29 09:41:03 EDT 2015

The CSLP Early Literacy and Children's program manual committee is asking for ideas for the 2017 program. Please see below for the topics they are looking for and how to contact them. As well as email, these is a new idea submission form at the CSLP website (www.cslpreads.org<http://www.cslpreads.org>). Thanks for your great ideas!

Collaborative Summer Library Program

Call for Ideas

Children's Manual and Early Literacy Manual, 2017

Work has begun on the CSLP 2017 Children's and Early Literacy Manuals, and we would love your input!  We're looking for ideas for:

*       Programs and activities; STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) topics, hands-on activities, and programming for a wide range of interests, budgets, and age groups (including intergenerational)

*       Books

*       Displays and Decorations

*       Storytimes

*       Incentives

*       Outreach to children and families outside the library

*       Early literacy tips

*       App recommendations

*       Encouraging parent/caregiver engagement

Whether you've got one book recommendation or an entire program outline, we'd love to hear from you.

Our 2017 theme is "Build a Better World."  Below, you'll find subthemes for each manual, to help give you an idea of what we'll be covering in each one.  Please submit your ideas to Amanda Struckmeyer at amandacmoss at gmail.com<mailto:amandacmoss at gmail.com> by August 14, 2015; be sure to include your name, institution, city, and state, so that we can acknowledge you in the manual.  Please note whether any fingerplays, rhymes, or songs are original works.  Any format is welcome (book lists, bulleted lists, brief notes, or full paragraphs, for example).  If you prefer, a CSLP Program Submission Form can be found at http://www.cslpreads.org.

Thank you for helping us build a better manual as we prepare to celebrate building a better world in 2017!

Early Literacy Manual (birth-age 5) Working Subthemes:

*       Home, Sweet Home (human and animal homes)

*       Building Blocks of Our Community (community institutions)

*       Construction, Tools, and Building Materials

*       Building a Better You (healthy habits, fine and gross motor control and strength, strong family relationships)

*       Kids Build a Better World (recycling, conserving water)

Children's Manual (ages 5-12) Working Subthemes:

*       Transform (volunteerism, giving, sharing, conservation, recycling, upcycling)

*       Senses (See: famous art and museums; Hear: sound effects, music; Touch: textures, temperatures; Taste: food around the world, restaurants, cooking; Smell: distinct aromas)

*       Build (architecture, engineering, innovations, inventions, marble runs, roller coasters, city and country, bridges, maps)

*       Discover:  (the natural world, including animals, plants, water, insects, and nature in general)

*       Live (storytelling, culture, customs, traditions, clothing, celebrations, transportation)

Karren Reish
Library Grants Coordinator
Library of Michigan
517-241-0021
517-373-5700 f
reishk at michigan.gov<mailto:reishk at michigan.gov>

www.michigan.gov/lsta<http://www.michigan.gov/lsta>
www.michigan.gov/youthlibraryservices<http://www.michigan.gov/youthlibraryservices>
www.michigan.gov/michiganreads<http://www.michigan.gov/michiganreads>
www.michigan.gov/sl21<http://www.michigan.gov/sl21>

Nourishing Michigan's Future...during school and during the summer!  Encourage Michigan's children to Meet Up and Eat Up - and Read Up! Find the Summer Food Service Program site nearest you at:  www.michigan.gov/sfsp<http://www.michigan.gov/sfsp>

[image004]