[Michlib-l] Chelsea District Library Director Bill Harmer Resigns to Take Position in Connecticut

Patty Roberts proberts at chelseadistrictlibrary.org
Tue Jun 2 13:54:56 EDT 2015

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

CONTACT: *Elizabeth Senoli, Chelsea District Library Board of Trustees,
President*

PHONE: 734-662-2142

E-MAIL: esensoli at chelseadistrictlibrary.org

*June 2, 2015 | Chelsea, MI*

*Chelsea District Library Director Bill Harmer Resigns to Take Position in
Connecticut*

The Chelsea District Library Board of Trustees bids farewell to visionary
Director Bill Harmer, who has been with the library since 2006. Harmer has
been named Executive Director of the Westport Library in Westport,
Connecticut effective July 27, 2015. His last day in Chelsea will be July
10.

Elizabeth Sensoli, Chelsea District Library Board President said “While I
am happy for the wonderful opportunity ahead for Bill and his family, I
admit to sadness for Chelsea’s loss.  Bill is a brilliant director.  His
talent and spirit have made our library a very special place, at the heart
of Chelsea.  Personally, I will miss his unquenchable enthusiasm and “out
of the box” thinking.

Trustee, Robin Wagner added, “Bill is a remarkable leader, driven by a
contagious passion for continuously improving the library experience for
guests, staff, and community. Bill’s constant focus is understanding what
is this library today, envisioning how can it be better tomorrow, and
wondering how to get there sooner than tomorrow.”

Harmer began working at the Chelsea District Library in 2006 as the Head of
Adult Services where he was instrumental in establishing a service planning
model for assessing community’s needs and identifying service priorities.
Through his outreach model, he pioneered new programs such as
Artist-in-Residence, Midwest Literary Walk, the Stories of Chelsea Oral
History Project, Purple Rose Theatre Concert Readings, and the Comedy
Showcase.

Promoted to Director in 2009, Harmer continued to build upon his belief
that the library experience cannot be viewed as just an information
transaction, but also an opportunity to reach out and connect lives. His
ability to connect with community, work closely with staff, and respond
quickly to emerging trends led to the Chelsea District Library being
recognized by *Library Journal* as the 2008 “Best Small Library in
America”.

In addition to his role as Library Director, Harmer currently serves on the
SRSLY Anti-Coalition Executive Committee, is a member of the Chelsea Lions
Club, served as President of the Rotary Club of Chelsea, and was a former
co-chair of the Chelsea Area Wellness Coalition, as well as Marketing
Coordinator for the Chelsea Summerfest.

In his formal resignation letter to the board, Harmer wrote, “Throughout my
years in Chelsea, I have had the honor and privilege to work alongside a
world-class staff dedicated to advancing learning, literacy, civic
engagement, innovation, and service that is second to none. With a Board of
Trustees committed to the long-term vitality of the library in the
community, and with our Friends of the Library and 140+ library volunteers
constantly providing all of the resources we have needed to create our
magic, I have been incredibly fortunate and lucky these nine years in
Chelsea. I am awed at our enviable and lengthy list of astonishing
accomplishments.”

Sensoli reported that the Board of Trustees will establish a search
committee and engage a leading search firm to identify a new executive
director.

“Bill leaves us with big shoes to fill, but standing next to those shoes is
a strong organization with an unparalleled staff,” said Sensoli. “Chelsea
District Library will continue to be a ground breaking library, dedicated
to enriching and serving our community.”

For more information, please contact Chelsea District Library Board of
Trustees President Elizabeth Sensoli, 734-662-2142 or
esensoli at chelseadistrictlibrary.org.

About Us: Chelsea District Library is nonprofit organization whose mission
is to provide equal access to quality resources that serve the lifelong
cultural, educational and informational needs and interests of all people.
The Library currently serves 14,000 residents in the Chelsea district –
City of Chelsea plus Dexter, Lima, Lyndon and Sylvan townships and more
than 20,000 individuals visit the Library each month.  For more information
visit chelseadistrictlibrary.org.

#
Patty Roberts | Marketing Coordinator
Chelsea District Library | 221 S. Main St. Chelsea, MI 48118
734.475.8732 ext. 216 | proberts at chelseadistrictlibrary.org