[Michlib-l] Alzheimer suggestions

Stacy Pasche spasche at benzieshoreslibrary.org
Mon Jun 15 14:31:28 EDT 2015

Hi everyone, these are the responses received from my request for materials
for patrons with Alzheimer's. Thank you to all who responded.

1) Veterinary books by James Herriot.  Each chapter is the equivalent of a
short story.  They are available on MeL in Large Print.

2) Short story collections worked for a while - mostly in the genres he
liked before.  After it progressed, trivia books/factoid books/bathroom
reading books seemed to work really well - the shorter, punchier text was
easy to comprehend and would often trigger other memories.  Your patron
might also like some of the juvenile/YA science books - they tend to have
large, colorful illustrations, simplified text, and be relatively short on
each topic.

3) Collections by Dave Barry, Erma Bombeck, O.Henry, James Herriot, Tom
Bodett, and Garrison Keillor might be possibilities.  David Isay's
StoryCorps Project books might be of interest too, but I think they're less
likely to be in large print.

4) Reader's Digest Large Print magazine

5) Check with your area literacy council or program.  Ours has novels that
are condensed into smaller books.

6) Try books with one or two characters. That seems to be one way to make
the story easier to follow.

--
Stacy Pasche,
Assistant Library Director