[Michlib-l] Thank You!

Lois Hartman lrhartman8 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 13:57:24 EST 2015

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry about e-cigarettes.  Here is a compiled list of the responses I received.  They will be very helpful when I take the issue up with the board for revision of our policy.  Thanks again!  Lois
In Hastings we just added e-cigarettes to the line in our code of conduct that lists cigarettes and chewing tobacco as prohibited.  Have not seen one in the library either – we changed our policy right after they came on the market.
Evelyn @ Hastings Public Library Genesee District Library does not allow the use of e-cigarettes in the libraries.  Our action follows the lead of Genesee County, which also bans them in county facilities. Our patron Code of Conduct prohibits the use of tobacco in the libraries, and we intend to modify the patron code of conduct to read, “Tobacco or tobacco products, including all forms of electronic cigarettes, may not be used in the library.” The instructions given to staff in the interim reads, “Due to health concerns, and following the lead of Genesee County, we will interpret item 1 of the Patron Code of Conduct to include electronic cigarettes.  The use of electronic cigarettes by staff, patrons, volunteers, vendors, workers or other persons is prohibited in all branches of Genesee District Library, and in GDL-owned vehicles.”Darwin McGuireTechnical Services ManagerGenesee District Library4195 W. Pasadena Ave.Flint, MI  48504810-230-3329 Telephone810-732-1161 FA

We added e-cigarettes to the no tobacco policy, which is now a no-smoking/no tobacco policy. The reason is two-fold. First kids do not need to be exposed to this in the library environment. Second there is a vapor that comes from the use of the e-cigarette. So they are not allowed on property at all, including the parking lot. Jim OliverCharlotte Community Library
We added them to our policy last year after we had a lady come in the building and started smoking one. Smelled nasty, like dirty wet socks. She started smoking it while playing Farmville on the computers. She was really irritated with me when I asked her to stop and cut up her library card and left it on the desk for us before stomping out. Guess she planned to water her crops elsewhere! Here is our policy (It is a simple line on our Patron Code of Conduct policy):15. Tobacco, nicotine products, or e-cigarette devices may not be used in the library or on library property. Andrea Estelle, Library Director“Brighten the Corner Where You Are”

We just added to our no smoking policy.  With the legalization of marijuana likely to happen and the creation of e-cigarettes, I tried to make the no smoking policy all-encompassing.

It's just this one sentence:

The smoking or use of tobacco, tobacco-like products or e-cigarettes is not permitted at any time in the library.
Jolene Michaels, Director
Mackinaw Area Public Library
528 W. Central Ave;  PO Box 67
Mackinaw City, MI  49701
(231)436-5451 - work(231)437-0739 - cell
fax (231) 436-7344
Hello, Since e-cigarettes are not the same as regular cigarettes, we have it clearly stated in our patron policy that “no smoking, which includes e-cigarettes”  is not allowed. We do not allow them because they do give off a small discharge of smoke etc and the smoker still has to exhale. It was just simpler to ban them with no smoking policy. We’ve never had anyone question the policy or try to smoke them here either.
Hope this helps.BillieJo BluemerLibrary DirectorRauchholz Memorial Library1140 N Hemlock RdHemlock MI 48626989-642-8621billiejo at rauchholzlibrary.org

Ann mentioned to me that you were interested in how other libraries were handling e-cigarette use. We just amended our no smoking policy to include them. Our board was very deliberate about the inclusive nature of the language we used. The policy can be found here:

http://www.kpl.gov/policies/smoking.aspx Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi, Lois,Responding off list, as my response is not so interesting. Just using our “no smoking” policy to ban e-cigarettes at this time. Only had once incident and the patron did not object to being told “no.” So hasn’t had a robust test yet where a patron makes a fuss.
 Lois Hartman
Watervliet District Library